Arusha Cultural Tour – Southern Pare Mountains and Mererani
Location: Northern Circuit
This cultural tour showcases some of the oldest monuments and historical sites in Arusha Town. See Pare Mountains, the oldest formal township and the Pare Township. Visit the largest informal settlement – Remote Mountains of Northern Tanzania with local farmers, before popping in to a Pare Villages where you will meet and interact with the local community.
On this Cultural Tour you will visit the cultural centers of Pare people, also known as the Home of Pare peoples of Arusha Town. Many of the inhabitants are descendants of people from Bantu land, Morocco, Mali and Timbuktu who were escaping by the Zulu Empire in the 17th and 18th centuries. The area is well known for the colorfully painted houses which line the steep and narrow streets.
Continue to Maghimbi Caves, the secret hiding place during the slave raids, before continuing to the Malemani Rocks to view local crafters at work, the scene of human sacrifices to appease evil spirits up until the 1930’s. Next you will visit Mererani, Tanzania’s largest and fastest growing township, with its vibrant culture and people. Visit an intriguing universe of Tanzanite from mine to Market and meet and interact with the local community.
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Professional narration by tour guide
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Coaches are not wheelchair accessible.
Recent Reviews of this Tour
- Outstanding tour! It’s great to see the positive things happening in the Tanzania townships. Some of the friendliest people I’ve met. The tour guide was great in sharing his personal experiences with Pare peoples and history, too. Overall A+ tour.